Fluoride is one of the most popular minerals that is found in traces but offers several benefits in the field of dentistry. It helps strengthen your enamel thereby preventing caries.
The dentist in Lakeview, Chicago provides fluoride treatment for patients, especially children to help prevent tooth decay and improve dental health.
An insight into fluoride treatment
Fluoride treatment is a typical in-office procedure that involves the application of high concentrations of fluoride to improve oral health and reduce your risk of cavities. The fluoride seeps into the tooth structure and forms a protective shield or layer that prevents plaque accumulation and bacterial colonization.
Though fluorides can be used at home under the supervision of your dentist, in-office treatment offers more benefits.
Fluoride helps to:
- Remineralize your tooth enamel
- Reverse early tooth decay
- Slow down the process of demineralization
- Prevent the growth of cavity-causing bacteria
Mode of delivery
- Topical fluoride: Fluoride is delivered through toothpaste, mouth rinse, and gels. This mode is especially helpful for children who are prone to develop tooth decay.
- Systemic fluoride: Fluoride is administered through regular community water supply or ingested in the form of oral tablets. This mode of fluoride delivery can strengthen the erupted teeth as well as the ones that are still developing under the gums.
Indications of fluoride treatment in dentistry
Fluoride treatment is often indicated in the following conditions:
- Deep pits and fissures on the occlusal surfaces of the teeth
- History of frequent cavities
- Exposed and sensitive root surfaces
- Fair to poor oral hygiene
- Frequent sugar intake that put you at an increased risk of caries
- Inadequate exposure to fluorides
- Xerostomia, a condition caused by low saliva content leading to dry mouth and increased risk of developing dental caries
Benefits of fluoride treatment
Fluoride treatment has been the most popular choice in preventive dentistry due to the following benefits:
- It can be successfully used for all age groups
- Effectively prevents tooth decay
- Offers easy application of fluorides
- Halts or arrests existing caries
- It is an affordable and less time-consuming procedure
- Avoids the necessity for expensive dental procedures
- Prolongs the life of baby teeth
- Prevents gum disease
- Prevents premature loss of teeth
Good oral hygiene is essential for your overall physical well-being. Preventive dentistry can offer several effective measures like fluoride treatment to help reduce your risk of oral problems like dental decay. However, ensure to follow good oral hygiene, in addition to a healthy diet and regular dental visits to rejuvenate your oral health.